Industrial products are nothing like homemade products. You’ve already noticed it in the kitchen. In the bathroom, it’s all the same. The taste, the texture, the smell… everything is different. Homemade cosmetics seem strange but they’re totally worth it! Healthier and cheaper, they will change the way you see the world. Countless additives, adieu, as my Swiss friends would say.
The tooth powder recipe that follows is the cheapest there is with only 4 ingredients. Unlike industrial toothpaste, it doesn’t foam but doesn’t harm your health or the environnement either.
- 120g superfine white clay (Kaolin)
- 60g food grade sodium bicarbonate
- 5g unrefined salt (Guérande/Himalaya)
- 40 drops of organic food grade Tea Tree essential oil
INSTRUCTIONS AND CONSERVATION
Grind the salt in a mortar if needed. Mix the ingredients in an airtight jar. It can easily be kept for 1 year, away from light and heat.
HOW TO USE THE TOOTH POWDER
Transfer a portion of the powder in a smaller container, e.g. a salt pot. Wet your toothbrush before dipping it into the mixture.
My lobster (\/) !_! (\/) and I love this exact recipe. However, white clay can be replaced by:
- green clay. Contrary to popular belief, superfine clay doesn’t scratch teeth enamel, even in the long term. Its neutral pH limits the development of caries while its absorbing property prevents from bad breath.
- potato starch. This teeth whitener is widely available, making it an attractive alternative.
Sodium bicarbonate is another teeth whitener but must be used sparingly. It is known to scratch teeth enamel, which is why cosmetic clay steals the spotlight in my recipe. Only use sodium bicarbonate designed for food use to ensure the absence of impurities.
Salt has been proven to be effective as a disinfectant, antibacterial and conservative. Tea Tree essential oil helps conserve and flavour the mixture. An organic food grade oil must be used since some tooth powder can be ingested. Prefer Tea Tree over mint since the latter may cause long-term adverse effects.
Next step… Toothpaste DIY (๑^ں^๑)
WHERE TO BUY INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST PRICE
|Kaolin clay||Le Lion||3.75€/kg|
|Unrefined salt||The Barn||3.57€/kg|
|Tea Tree essential oil**||Aroma Zone||7.50€/30ml|
⚠ I don’t get any commission for recommending products or retailers. I simply believe they are great.
* Food grade sodium bicarbonate.
** Organic food grade essential oil.